Subject: Re: ps2mf
From: [email-masked] (Piet Tutelaers)
Date: 26 Aug 92 20:40:33 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.text.tex

[email-masked] (John Brehm) writes:

>I need to convert some postscript fonts for use with the emTeX dvihplj
>drivers, but at sizes that differ from the standard 10pt.  I can
>easily generate fonts of arbitrary sizes with ps2pk (great tool!),
>but how do I produce the right .tfm files?  That is, if I include
>the line:
> \font\opt12=optima at 12pt
>I get the error message (from LaTeX):
> ! Font \opt=optima not loadable: Bad metric (TFM) file.

>Any thoughts?

I see that my ps2pk.README does not explain this clearly. So here is a try
to correct that.

1) Get the latest afm2tfm coming with dvips. You need at least version 7.0
of afm2tfm othewise the checksums of TFM files generated by afm2tfm and PK
files generated by ps2pk will be different. Try ftp.urc.tue.nl:pub/tex or
labrea.stanford.edu for the latest sources. MSDOS binaries are (or will
become) available in :pub/tex/emtex/dvips.zip.

2) You should have VPtoVF a fonttool coming with emTeX: converts a Virtual
Property Font format (.vpl: ASCII) to Virtual Font format (.vf: binary).

3) It is possible to name your TeX font `optima' but real TeX-ers
prefer `popr', a name that can be used on MSDOS (and that can be found
from grep-ing in the file adobe coming with dvips). You will need:
	1) emtex\tfm\popr.tfm
	2) emtex\vf\popr.vf
	3) emtex\tfm\rpopr.tfm
	4) emtex\pixel.lj\360dpi\rpopr.pk (360=12/10*300)

4) To generate them:
	afm2tfm Optima.afm -v popr.vpl rpopr.tfm
	vptovf popr.vpl popr.vf popr.tfm
	(delete popr.vpl if you like)
	ps2pk -X360 -v Optima.pfb rpopr.360pk

5) To use them install all TFM, VF and PK fonts on their proper place.
Check that they will be located there and use now within plain TeX
(especially check that emtex\lj.cnf contains a line telling dvihplj where
to find its VF fonts. I have no MSDOS machine nearby, so I can't tell what
exact line you need):
	\font\opt12=popr at 12pt

The bunch of files are necessary to map PostScript fonts to TeX (virtual
magic).

Hope this brings some light,

--Piet